4 Apr 2016

Brass goggles

I found handmade brass goggles in the net.
For example, this, Last Exile goggles by gogglerman.

He contributed some handmade goggles. I think that I may be able to make such one.
Probably I can't make so complex mechanism.
I tried making simple one.
 At first I made paper form for goggles. Then they were glued on the brass sheet which thickness of 0.5mm and were sawed.
 The frames were made from brass sheet which thickness is 1.5 mm. They are heavier. I made these parts again from thin sheet.
 It took much time because of the thickness 1.5 mm is too thick.

 I should change the board of work bench. Stable bench is needed for fine work.
 preparing for silver soldering
 after that, they are cleaned with acid.
 I didn't have a few kinds of silver solder which work with each temperature. So this soldering was a bit hard.
 I could imagine what I can do it. When I did it actually, I was pleased with that.

 Preparing for silver soldering needs more time.
 My skill of silver soldering may become a bit high.
 At least, I need 2 kinds of silver solder.


Making screws.

 Soldered with this setting.
 They are acrylic clear board. It's easy to drill those edges.
 This way of attaching clear board to brass goggle is my way, I think.



 The way of attaching the leather cushion is wrong. they don't work as cushion.
 Spring dumper. They are too heavy.

 The size is too big !? But I can see my both side.


 Using as accessory on the hat is better. That means these one isn't usable.
 stitching smaller square is a bit hard.